Bishop Search News, May 2018
The Nominating Committee (NC) met by phone on May 15 to review the results of the recent online survey conducted across the diocese and the ongoing parish listening sessions. The Nominating Committee thanks everyone who has participated.
In all, 554 lay members and clergy took part in the survey. An executive summary of the results is posted on the diocesan website. To date, listening sessions have involved over 450 people in 24 parishes; they continue through June.
NEEDED: Please submit pictures from your congregation (buildings, people, events, etc.) for inclusion in the diocesan profile by emailing them to
.The NC plans to meet by phone on the third Wednesday of each month through the summer as it builds the profile.
The Standing Committee (SC) has met monthly to continue its role of oversight for the search. The following is a summary of work to date.
- Coordination continues with the Rt. Rev. Todd Ousley, Bishop for Pastoral Development (in the Presiding Bishop’s office), and the Rev. Ann Hallisey, Bishop Search Consultant, to ensure that we carry out the search process in good order.
- The SC drafted a Letter of Agreement for the position of Assistant Bishop during the time between Bishop Brookhart’s resignation and the election and consecration of a new Bishop Diocesan.
- Dates are set for a combined Electing Convention/Diocesan Convention: July 25 (evening arrival) through July 28, 2019, St. James in Bozeman. During this time, we will elect the new Bishop, carry out regular Diocesan Convention business, and celebrate Eucharist together.
- The SC appointed the Rev. Rick Johnson (St. Peter’s, Helena), Darien Scott (St. Peter’s, Helena), Vicki Van Rennselear (St. James, Bozeman), and Holly and Gary Swartz (Holy Spirit, Missoula) to the Transition Committee, which handles all the various parts of transition associated with the Bishop Search and charged them to begin planning the celebration of Bishop Brookhart’s ministry among us at this year’s Diocesan Convention.
- The SC began “exit interviews” with our Bishops and Diocesan Staff to learn from their experience, consider present needs, and hear any suggestions for consideration as we move forward. To date we have interviewed: Bishop Brookhart, Bishop Gallagher, Barb Hagen (Canon for Finance and Administration), and Jill Sallin (Administrative Assistant). Remaining interviews are being scheduled.
- The SC received a request from the Nominating Committee to expand its number in light of its workload. Nancy McManus (Billings Deanery alternate) was added to fill a vacancy at a prior SC meeting. We approved the following individuals at our May meeting: The Rev. Stephen Day (Emmanuel, Miles City, and Church of the Ascension, Forsyth from the Billings Deanery), Laura Catlin (St. James, Bozeman, Bishop Tuttle Deanery), and Hope Stockwell (St. Peter’s, Helena, Bishop Daniels Deanery). Ms. Stockwell will prepare regular updates from the NC for the SC to ensure coordination and consistency in communications to the diocese.
We commend the work of the NC specifically with regards to the listening sessions being held in every congregation: for the care with which you prepared these sessions, and for your time and effort in making them happen.
Faithfully submitted on behalf of the Standing Committee,
The Rev. Terri Ann Grotzinger
Standing Committee Member